Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Teaser and WWW for week of August 2nd

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

* Grab your current read.
* Open to a random page.
* Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page.

* BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)

* Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

Here's my teaser from HUNT AMONG THE KILLERS OF MEN, by Gabriel Hunt "as told to" David S. Schow:

"Don't you dare get an erection, or I'll have to shoot you."

They were immersed to the collarbones inside a large cauldron of steaming water, which they had bucketed over from a wood fire inside the second of the leaning pagoda's shrine rooms. Pressed herbs floated on the cloudy surface. Qi had insisted Gabriel join her -- for purely therapeutic reasons, she explained, after she had applied antibiotic ointment to his head would and to a new gouge, raw and red, that he'd acquired on the side of his neck.


Yes, I know, that's more than two sentences. I didn't want to leave out that classic bit of dialogue, though.


* * * * * * *

WWW Wednesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along!

To play along, just answer the following three (3) questions…

* What are you currently reading?
* What did you recently finish reading?
* What do you think you’ll read next?

My answers for this week:

I Am Currently Reading: The new Gabriel Hunt adventure, HUNT AMONG THE KILLERS OF MEN. I read a couple of chapters last night before bed, read more of the book on today's flight and tonight over dinner. I suspect dinner tomorrow night will finish it. Hunt books, of which this is the 5th of a proposed 6, are intentionally fast reads. Hunt is a modern Indiana Jones, and the adventures range from the outright fantastical (sphinxes exist) to the politically intrigued (the current book, with Shanghai mafia in-fighting), suited to the style of whichever author Hunt "told" this tale to.

I Recently Finished Reading: THE MAGICIANS by Lev Grossman. The book has been highly recommended by a few people, including new Twitter / blogger friend RoofBeamReader. I'm glad I decided to read it, and will post a review sometime in the next few days. This book caused more random conversations with strangers in restaurants and hotel lobbies than any other book I've ever read. (See my earlier post about Reasons to Not Have an E-reader for more details on that.)

I Think I'll Read Next: PALIMPSEST, by Catherynne M. Valente (aka [info]yuki_onna , for [info]calico_reaction 's August book club. I really liked the short story version I reviewed over in [info]365shortstories a few months back, and am intrigued to see what a full-length version of the story does for the characters. I don't suspect I'll be let down at all.

No comments: